Cushman High School for Leadership & Innovation
Our Board of Trustees, faculty, staff and administration are overjoyed to announce the historic decision that we will expand and have Cushman High School! While some of our middle school students will join us on campus for 9th grade next year, the hard opening will be in the fall of the 2017-2018 school year. We are continuing to identify our final location. Former Ransom Everglades Head for 15 years, Caroline Lewis, is our High School Director. She, along with our administrators, high school faculty and I are very busy developing innovative programming that reflects an integrative, project-based learning philosophy. Our students will embrace scholarship and interdisciplinary approaches to problem-solving. With the arts and technology used as tools in which to communicate solutions to global or local issues on such topics as renewable resources, global warming, rising sea levels, and community health, and with the immersion of internships and mentorships, Cushman’s high school students will be recognized as leaders who are agents of change.
Through Cushman High School, we will be….
Celebrating teenagers as agents of change by:
- Demanding academic excellence and developing inquiry;
- Promoting solution-oriented thinking and celebrating innovation;
- Confronting global crises and addressing local challenges;
- Creating projects to personalize and deepen learning while developing individual and collaboration skills;
- Embracing the arts and technology and using them as tools in problem-solving; and
- Providing rich immersion experiences and hosting annual showcases that highlight applied learning.
Cushman High School graduates will:
- Have the skills to adjust to varied learning environments;
- Look at the biggest issues of our time and deconstruct the systems at play;
- Embrace scholarship and interdisciplinary approaches to problem solving;
- Be innovative and work easily alone and as part of a team; and
- Recognize that he or she is important and needed in this rapidly changing world.
We will be providing additional information on this exciting endeavor in the near future. If you have any questions, please contact The Cushman School Main Office (305) 757-1966.
– Arvi Balseiro